The college was started in 1972 as a second grade college with just two Pre-degree batches-[Group III [Humanities] and 1V[Commerce] and started functioning in a building of the Director of Public Instruction at Down Hill, Malappuram which continued till it was shifted to the present site in 1981. The realization of the college is due to Janab C. H. Mohammed Koya, the then minister for Education, Government of Kerala, whose dedication, involvement and enthusiasm primarily contributed for it.
The college is affiliated to University of Calicut and the college has been strictly following the rules and regulations of the university.As an affiliated College, the courses and curriculum has been solely determined by the University Presently 1148 students are doing various courses . We have 16 departments and 80 staffers
The college campus with 5.0869 hecters of land is situated 2.50 kms from Malappurm town on the Manjeri road. The college buildings include the main block with three storeys, science block with 2 storeys, the college auditorium along with the play ground. The whole campus is enclosed with a compound wall and a magnificent gate at the entrance adds elegance to the campus.
The college has a well equiped library which contains around 33000 books has a facility of book bank system, Library also provides 22 journals/periodicals and 9 dailies of various languages. The library work on all days except sundays and holidays.